A Shared Joy is a Double Joy, A Shared Sorrow is Half a Sorrow
-We can do better
For years our Executive Director, Dennis Gillan, has been on the road talking about suicide prevention and sharing the very personal story of his losses, but the time has come to go UPSTREAM and talk about the bigger problem, the stigma behind talking about one’s mental health.
- The age-adjusted suicide rate of 2020 was 14.0 per 100,000 individuals.
- Men accounted for 79% of all suicide deaths in 2020
- Suicide rates among women were highest within age group 45-64
- In 2020, men died by suicide 3.9 times more often than women.
- Suicide is the 12th leading cause of death in the US in 2020
- In 2020, 45,979 Americans died by suicide.
- Demographic disparities in suicide persist, as evidenced by increasing rates among persons aged 25–34 years, Hispanic males, and non-Hispanic multiracial females.
-getting P.A.S.T. the stigma of talking about mental health
At the Half a Sorrow Foundation, we truly believe that suicide is preventable. We have dedicated vast time and resources to prepare a plan called P.A.S.T. to accomplish this. Through Programs, Advocacy, Storytelling, and Training we hope to save lives.