The Half a Sorrow Foundation improves mental health for individuals and organizations by promoting real conversations.
-we’re heading in the wrong direction
For years our Executive Director, Dennis Gillan, has been on the road talking about suicide prevention and sharing the very personal story of his losses, but the time has come to go UPSTREAM and talk about the bigger problem, the stigma behind talking about one’s mental health. Mental Health!
- The age-adjusted suicide rate of 2018 was 14.2 per 100,000 individuals.
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle-aged white men
- In 2018, men died by suicide 3.56X more often than women.
- White males accounted for 69.7% of suicide deaths in 2018
- Suicide rates among women were highest within age group 45-64
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US
- In 2018 48,344 Americans died by suicide.
-getting P.A.S.T. the stigma
At the Half a Sorrow Foundation, we truly believe that suicide is preventable. We have dedicated vast time and resources to prepare a plan called P.A.S.T. to accomplish this. Through Programs, Advocacy, Storytelling, and Training we hope to save lives.